Q & A Day
This whole blogging thing is a foreign concept to me. I haven't read many other people's blogs (if you have one, post a comment with your link, I'd love to see it). I don't know if I'm doing it "right," so I think of mine as an online journal. But that poses some questions because I sit and think, hmmm, do I want to share that with the "world" or do I want to keep those thoughts in my head...? Will they be interesting to anyone else if I do write them down? I once had an interview and beforehand looked up (i.e. Googled) the HR person up and found some pretty unprofessional things written about her in a blog, and would hate for me to be the cause of someone else's exposure in that way.
A friend from DC sent me some questions and I figured I'd post my answers in case anyone else had similar questions, added in some other stuff, and took some poetic license: Once again, if you have some questions, post them for me. (Really I just want to know if anyone is out there... I know Libby is. :) )
Q. How's work?
A. I love the work I am doing here. I'm working in the ECL Unit (Environmental Cleanup) which houses a lot of the project managers (RPMs) for superfund sites, but most of the work I have been doing has been for the community involvement group. I have been helping a very overloaded community involvement manager with the Midnite Mine Superfund site. In addition, I've been writing/coordinating a bunch of Public Notices for several different sites, have written fact sheets, am putting together a community Bulletin for the Bunker Hill Superfund site, and other similar projects. It has been extremely rewarding so far.
Q. Did you guys have any Tsunami warnings from that quake in the pacific?
A. Not that I heard, but that doesn't mean much.
Q. What is the weather like? Does it rain a lot? Is it really cloudy all the time?
A. I'm supposed to tell you that the weather sucks, that it rains ALL the time, but honestly, it hasn't been too bad yet. It is wet a lot. And I'm told it gets very dark here in the winter for several months and there's this constant mist, but October was wonderful and November so far hasn't been bad at all. It apparently rarely goes below freezing. I've been OK with a sweater and a water proof layer and a hat.
Q. Are you playing any disc out there?
A. Who me? Yeah, but most of the leagues ended last weekend. I played in two leagues and have met a good group of people through Ultimate. Really friendly community.
Q. What is the food like? Do they have nice organic produce?
A. People here are very socially conscious and environmentally active as well. I go get food at the Market (Pike Place) because I can make it be on my way home. That's fun, most of the time expensive, and often organic. You can join a CSA but I wasn't here long enough to do that. But even the little mini marts on the corners have tons of organic options.
Q. Have you done any hiking or backpacking?
A. Went to Victoria on the ferry (about 2.5 hours) where my cousins live and went hiking with them. I was supposed to go to the rainforest (Hoh) this weekend but the trip got postponed. For Thanksgiving, I'm going to some hot springs outside of Eugene, OR with some friends I made through Ultimate. It's about a 5 hour drive from here, but we're going to camp and make a Thanksgiving feast over a campfire.
Q. What else is going on?
A. I've been learning HTML in the evenings. I got a great book and am finding it quite easy in theory


3 Comments:
Welcome to the blogosphere.
There's no right and wrong in a blog, but I suggest that the first thing you do (or, rather, the next first thing) is to decide why you have a blog. That'll help with what to write about.
For example, if you just want to keep a journal for your own interest, then don't worry about whether it's interesting to other people. But if that's the case, then don't tell all your friends, and keep names or details quiet.
Or is it so that your friends and family can check in to see what you're up to? That's different again.
Or, if it's a way to share your insights, questions, photos, and wisdom with a wider audience, then you have to think about that.
In any case, find your reason to be. Then you can vary it as you want, but you won't be asking yourself, "should this go on my blog?" That's my advice.
Just put on what you are feeling / thinking. There is no one right way or wrong way. Just don't over think it.
Post a Comment
<< Home